Friday, February 24, 2017

Dresser Turned Entertainment Center w/ Wine Rack




When I bought my condo, I was very fortunate to get an awesome neighbor downstairs who has turned out to be a great friend, almost like a fun second grandpa. I knew we would get along just great when he showed me this amazing old antique lamp that he has had with him for 30+ years. He has full on cable and I don't, so we occasionally watch Flea Market Flip. After seeing my work and some of the fun projects on the show, he asked me to make him an entertainment center with a wine rack. 



So I was on a mission to find the perfect piece for him. I found a great Henredon dresser on CL while perusing it on a Saturday night. Small world, it turned out I knew the person selling it. The next morning, I went to pick it up. And then it sat in my garage for quite awhile. Finally around January, I started working on it.



I had never reconstructed a dresser before. First, I started taking of the back. It had these very old nails in it. Here is a picture as I was taking of the back. I then took out all the drawer slides and stops.


My vision was to buy a big piece of wood that I could slide in through the back to make the shelf for the cable box and router. I found a big piece of wood a Home Depot that would do the trick. I also bought two pieces of wood to cut for the wine rack. My dad came over and helped me cut all the wood. Here is the dresser with the wood piece after it was cut. Had to make sure it fit!


I then sanded everything using my Ryobi sander and stained it all with General Finishes Java Gel Stain. Here are the pieces after they were stained. I absolutely love how the stain really brought out the wood grain.


After this, I sanded down the top and stained that using the Java gel stain. 



Once I was happy with the top, I taped plastic to protect it and began spraying. My neighbor picked out Tuscany Hillside for the color. I used my favorite HomeRight Finish Max Sprayer for this. 


For the two middle drawers, I wanted to keep those wood. so I sanded those down and stained them as well. Here is the before and after.


And there here she is, all finished after I sprayed on topcoat! I used HPTC in satin and also wetsanded the paint prior to spraying on topcoat to try to get that antiqued look. I apologize for the photos, didn't get to bring it to my usual staging spot. 




So happy she is finished and in her new home. My neighbor absolutely loves it. He did eventually hide all his cords, thank goodness. My cord OCD'ness was on high alert. Hope everyone is has a great weekend!

-Shayla



1 comment:

  1. Wow! I just seen the link on pinterest to your kitchen, Its amazing. Great Job. Lots of hard work for sure! Great detail
    bathroom remodelling Austin

    ReplyDelete