Sunday, January 31, 2016

How To White Wash - A Nightstand Redo


Recently, I have had a little obsession with whitewashing. It started small when working on my signs from Board & Brush. It was appealing to me because I started trying it on a small surface and then this weekend, I got the bright idea to try it on a piece of furniture. This nightstand came from a local thrift store here in Wisconsin, something like this. 


I just loved all the great curves and details of this little piece. It was calling my name, like a lot of pieces do. So into my car it went. Kristen @ NAK Home recently tried FolkArt's Home Decor chalk paint from Joann's in black, so I thought I would give it a try on this piece and keep the wood top. I got it to this point and didn't love the top.


So I thought I would try a white wash. I had some leftover Fusion mineral paint in Limestone, so I added a little water to it and started. 


Here is what it looked like after I did this. The trick is not to let it sit on their long enough to dry. I quickly painted it on and then right after I had fully covered the top, I took some paper towel and wiped it off going all in the same direction. Here is what it looked like after.


I loved how it turned out with the different shades of color. Next, I slightly distressed some the paint to bring out the details, put some poly on the top and wax on the rest of the nightstand and here she is!




What do you all think? 

Thanks so much for reading,
-Shayla







5 comments:

  1. WOW! This doesn't even look like the same piece! You did a great job! If you are interested in joining in one more link party I would be happy to host you at Making Broken Beautiful. It is a home decor and furniture party. It runs every Thursday thru Sunday. You have an eye for style! I hope you have a great week!
    Smiles!
    Terry
    http://thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terry.. I will definitely be linking up with you, can't wait!

      Delete
  2. Saw your project at Making Broken Beautiful and loved the effect the white washing created. I'm inspired to try the technique on a future project and thinking it might help tone down some cabinets I have. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece! I love Fusion, and I like the washed effect you gave it. Thanks for linking up to #FridaysFurnitureFix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the whitewash changes the look of the top, Shayla, it looks so good! While I love Fusion Mineral Paints I've never tried the Limestone before so I can't wait to try that color now. Thanks for the tip. Hugs for an awesome day, CoCo

    ReplyDelete