Monday, August 3, 2015

Thomasville End Table


I recently came across this amazing Thomasville end table at a local Goodwill. Instantly, I fell in love with the great character and detail of the piece. Then I opened up the drawer and was pleasantly surprised when I saw the Thomasville imprint. I then grabbed the entire table and brought it up to the counter with me. To say this was a heavy piece is an understatement, I would have to say at least 40lbs. It's all solid oak.




Above is a picture of it when I got it come. It was in great solid condition, it just had a few wear/water marks on the top and shelf. One of my favorite parts about furniture is preserving the wood tops, as you may notice with my pieces. I took my orbital sander to this one and sanded out most of the scratches and water marks. I then tried using General Finishes gel stain in Antique Walnut on it, but it didn't get the oak as dark as I was hoping. Bummer. Resanding and restaining did not sound all that appealing. I have been in love with my all white cedar chest that I have in my living room, so then I changed my mind and decided to go all one color with this piece. I used Country Chic's paint in vanilla frosting. One of my favorite paints! I get this paint at Harvest Home in Pewaukee, WI. Miss Mustard Seed was there just a few months ago and did a great blog post here about it. I highly recommend visiting this place if you are ever in the area. They have great home decor, clothing, and paints for the DIY'ers out there and it's in this super cute old house.

This paint usually takes about three coats to get true coverage with no streaks. I then like to sand it with 60 or 80 grit paper on the parts where I would like to distress the table. My personal preference it just to distress the details to make them come out more on the piece. This table has such great detail, it took me awhile to distress it. I then like to lightly sand with a sanding block using 220 grit to get that nice smooth feeling after. Next, I did a coat of furniture wax. My preferred method of applying this is to use an old t-shirt or lint free rags.  Here are some final pictures of my piece. I used some dried hydrangeas and this super cute box I found from H&M to stage the piece.






















What do you readers think of this piece and staging? I love it and desperately tried to find a place for it in my condo. I just can't seem to find the right place for this. So it is for sale on some local Facebook groups.

Thanks so much for reading!
Shayla

No comments:

Post a Comment